[Harp-L] Hohner Price Increase

Frank says:

Why should a manufacturer stop producing a product while there's still demand for it? Hohner does make Marine Bands with screws and non swelling combs, but still they sell the thing with nails. Give me one good reason why a 21st century major manufacturer should stop producing a top seller?

My reply:

They shouldn't. In fact, they should raise their prices like they are doing. They should continue to exploit their market. Actually, that Hohner is able to get away with this is this what what I said I found so amusing and perplexing in the first place. But, you correctly state the reality of the situation. Innovation does not appear to be part of the Hohner business philosophy.

Frank also says:

Recent stock MSs are terrific, too. At least compared to most other stock harmonicas ;)

You've got to be kidding. You may like them, they may be better for your style of play, and you may like how the reedplates may sound. But there is not a stock Hohner made that has compression as good as a Suzuki Hammond or Firebreath. Not even close. i played Hohners for 28 years before i switched to Suzukis 2 years ago, so I have considerable basis for comparison. Now, i haven't tried a Crossover, but, as i understand it, part of what gives the Suzukis superior compression is closer red/plate tolerances, so I would not expect a Crossover to be much different from other Hohner models in that respect.

Personally, I don't mind paying more for what i consider to be a better instrument. Unquestionably, Hohners have certain characteristics that appeal to many players, and the reason I prefer Suzukis may have a lot to do with my particular style of play. But objectively speaking, the higher end Suzukis simply have better compression than Honers. The compresion on LOs is pretty decent, too. That doesn't mean that all Hohners are bad harps. But it sure as hell doesn't mean they are terrific compared to "most other stock harmonicas"--at least not the ones i play.

But, I'm delighted that Hohner can count you as part of its loyal customer base.

Best regards,

JO