RE; [Harp-L] Django Reinhardt

Mick Zacklan writes:
Surprised Winslow or Tom Ball haven't jumped on this, so I'll throw it
out there.  Today is the 100th anniversary of gypsy guitarist Django
Reinhardt's birthday.  My dad was a Django-phile and I grew up with Django's
music being blasted throughout the house.  Harmonica relevance?  Well, guys
on this list have tackled some of Django's music over the years.  "Minor
Swing" comes to mind, which sounds pretty good in fourth position.  And Mr.
Reinhardt, still considered by many to be the greatest jazz guitarist who
ever lived, did share a trait in common with probably the majority of people
playing the harmonica today.  Myself included.  Couldn't read a note of
music.  Actually he couldn't read anything, period!  Genius is an overused
word, but in his case it certainly fits.

Good call, Mick. Django is certainly worth appreciating. Take a peek at this
remarkable piece of footage from back in the day:
http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/02/hot_club.mov

And yes, there is harp content in that Larry Adler recorded some amazing chromatic
harp with Django and crew in 1938. Well worth seeking out.

Vive le Quintette du Hot Club de France!

-TB
http://www.tomball.us