From: David Fairweather <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Tabs & Software

Not sure if you can do this on the iPhone, but my preference is:
- Number within a circle = draw
- Number with no circle = blow
Bends: ' " '"
OB/OD: Â
This system is clear and immediately visible.
I don't care of the arrows.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

My problem with diatonic tab is that it never adequately describes bending.

I believe that the purpose of tab should be to convey what to DO in order to hit
the right note.   But in the case of a bent note, simply saying ', or '',  or
'''  may convey what you want to ACHIEVE (bend a half-step, bend two half-steps,
bend three-half steps)  but it does nothing to tell the player what he has to DO
at a particular hole in order to achieve that result.

Say you're at a hole that only bends two half-steps when you arrive at a ''
symbol.   The TAB isn't doing anything to let you know that "You need to bend
this reed down all the way."    If you're at a hole that bends three half-steps
and you arrive at that same '' symbol, the TAB isn't warning you that you need
to stop bending when you reach 2/3 of the way to the bottom.

Does anyone know of a diatonic tab system that conveys this type of mechanics to
let the player know what to DO at each hole?