Re: [Harp-L] Hohner in the Local Marketplace

On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:21 AM, fjm wrote:
Witness the harmonica community dealing with the Farrels. Long before the internet. Photo copied price sheets, bizarre phone conversations and scoldings should you accidentally cross some line but it was all worth it because the prices were good and any key could be easily had.

I L O V E IT. Bizarre doesn't even begin to give a picture. And talk about scoldings. Ha ha. Ritchie Farrell was like the soup nazi of Jerry Seinfeld fame. Except he dealt in harmonicas.
We used to talk for hours about ways and means to improve them. Inserts, valve materials, combs, etc. But one day I must have said something he didn't like because he BARRED me. That's right. I was barred. I wasn't able to order harmonicas. Do you believe it.
Eventually he relented and let me back into the fold. It was like I had to be beholding to him. After all the ideas I gave him. Needless to say, I was hurt and never talked to him again.

smo-joe