Re: [Harp-L] acoustic harp sound quality / when recording and mixing

big thanks to everybody who replied.

- special thanks to Richard Hunter for the info on his website. i've studied that info several years ago and even experimented with some of the mics/set-ups mentioned there (especially Lee Oskar's Mike Stevens' set-ups).

- also thanks to Tom Ball, that fantastic article is a great follow-up to Richard's info. when i first read it - also some 5 yrs ago - I nearly studied it by heart and bought some of the mics mentioned. I'm still eager to try Senn 441u and Gefell 71 with the famous M7 capsule.

- a couple of years ago i got in touch with Norton Buffalo and asked him in details on the mic positioning which matters a lot in terms of breathing/nose winding and I guess you could see him using the set-up in one of Youtube clips. I also liked the idea of coupling 2 tracks - 1 tube condenser mic +  1 handheld ribbon mic - like in case of Lee Oskar's set-up described on Richard's website.

******
after experiments with several set-ups, it looks like i found a compromised approach allowing to spend less on mics and still get the fat acoustic sound. and the method is taken from the vocal/guitar recording technique. that is, parallel compression. it allows you to keep the valuable transients and at the same time increase the presence and low end.

in fine, you record one acoustic track and then in your DAW you create the second track and copy/paste the fist track there, so that you are ended up with two identical tracks. now you compress one track and leave the second unchanged. then you find the best balance between the two by changing the mixer faders position. and of course you polish the resulted sound with some great type of reverb. those wishing to find out more about that in detail, pls. email me off line as there are some screenshots involved and attachments are not allowed in this group.

best,

alex

Help save paper! Do you really need to print this email?

This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) does not in any way waive privilege or confidentiality.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to whom or which it is addressed.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited.
The sender accepts no liability for the proper transmission of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.