[Harp-L] Re: Hohner Price Increase

On 1/22/10 5:17 AM, John F. Potts wrote:
As i understand it, the entire harmonica customization trade originally
developed from the need to make MBs more playable.

One way of looking at it. I believe Joe Filisko started out making Lee Oskar customs. I tend to think that the reason the Hohner handmade plates are the platform for many customised harmonicas is that they have a lot to offer and not in terms of deficits. Kind of the same reason so many people use 350 Chevy engines for hot rods. I have a tweaked Seydel. It's not the same as a hand made plate. In general the pattern is if the reed profiles etc resemble the MB plates then I am happy with the results of a customisation of the plate. I have several MB knockoff customs that I adore. There is a certain style of playing that is facilitated by the MB plates.

You can look at it at least 2 ways. Virtually all customs are based on a Marine Band plate because the stock product has so many deficits or you could think that the other brands just don't end up in the same place once they are customised. And by the way I have no love for Hohner. fjm