Re: [Harp-L] RE: Hohner Price Increase

From my personal observations and intimate involvement with Seydel Harmonicas, I can report that they are committed to quality business in the long run. As the oldest existing harmonica manufacturer, and the only one still German owned, they will continue to handcraft Seydel harmonicas in the old-world tradition.

There have been many crossroads where requests for blocks of cheap harmonicas for schools, charities, beginner's instruments, etc. etc. have caused a look into the beckoning cheaper prices of the far East, and the whole philosophy and practice that goes with that. As a company Seydel has decided to remain true to what we do well, and improve on that, and not try to be all things to all people.

Thankfully the investors who "rescued" Seydel a few years ago, have and fully support this long term vision, and provide the framework and nurturing in which Seydel can continue to grow back organically, and become an even better niche provider to the growing world of discerning harmonica players.

No disclaimer--I work fulltime+ for Seydel, and it is a relationship that came about after I fell in love with their products, the people, the factory, and the long-term vision of Seydel!

Best,

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com

Paul Routledge wrote:
These price increases are not just unique to Hohner. Fender have also been raising there prices considerably over the years couple of years. They have raised them at least three times that I'm aware of.

Both of these companies are having more components produced in the far East than ever before and at a far cheaper rate than they could have them produced in the West. The simple fact is that the major shareholders of these companies demand that their profit margin increases year on year. If this means that they exorbitantly raise their prices to customers, then they see no problem with that.

Of course in the long run this greed is self defeating. Customers will stop buying those products and go for cheaper options, or they will learn to repair there own products (as many of us do) so that they have no need to buy on such a regular basis.

Either way this level of greed will probably be the death of these companies in the end. The major shareholders of course won't lose sleep over that, as they are only interested in how much money they are making today and not in the longevity of the business.

When that happens we will all eventually end up playing harmonicas made in the Far East in the same way we use television sets, washers, microwaves made there.

Just my opinion.

Paul