[Harp-L] re: Hohner

Hohner is to harmonicas as Kleenex is to tissues. Business is business. When
it comes to commanding market share and branding , Hohner is still king of
the hill. I think that the decisions we are currently discussing (price
increase, blister packaging) were made with a lot of thought behind them.
There are no donkeys running Hohner. When it comes to pricing the numbers
never lie. I sure don't think that Hohner is in a "greedy" state of mind at
this point in the game. Overhead is overhead and the exchange rates are what
they are. Businesses are in business to make a profit. Businesses that don't
make a profit eventually go out of business. In the retail (brick and
mortar) environment product placement is important. For a long time the harp
has been delegated to the lock and key, under dirty glass. Now it can
literally be within reach of the hands of the consumer, yet still not
available to put in mouth. The packaging also creates a space to inform the
consumer  with specific words about the product that the salespeople usually
don't have a clue about.  The only inconvenience for the "serious" harp
player is the need to have a pocket knife available to slice open the pinata
to get to the good stuff.

Choice is a wonderful thing. We as players make choices and so do companies.
The chips will fall as they fall. Personally, I am glad that we have a
company like Hohner on the "front lines" of consumer awareness for our
beloved harmonica. Many peoples "first harmonica" is a Hohner. Those sales
start many on an addictive path that leads the folks to the other choices in
the harmonica marketplace.

WB