RE: [Harp-L] Special 20 tuning

> From: dfwhoot@xxxxxxxxx
> Does anyone have a reason why Hohner tunes their Special 20 harps , sharp?

Every harmonica of every make I've ever bought has been tuned to higher than A440, some considerably so. The explanation frequently seen, that playing hard tends to flatten the notes, doesn't make sense to me.  If that were the case I'd expect just the higher (bendable) note in each hole to be tuned sharp. What I do know is that, for reasons that elude me completely, a harp tuned at A441 or 442 (as played by me at any rate) sounds better with a guitar than a harp tuned to A440. At A443 I've had occasional complaints that I sound sharp side by side with other instruments, and at A444 or higher I'm sure I can actually hear the difference as a raise in pitch.

Steve Shaw

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/