Re: [Harp-L] advanced?

First of all, having taught numerous professional seminars, I concur completely with Joe's assessment. I did make a practice of talking out of class to attendees who were in over their heads. And for those who did not understand, I had to develop ways to keep them from being disruptive.

As to an advanced player, my criteria would be a little different from Jim's.

To me, the main criterion is the technical ability to play any given passage of music. This includes music that falls outside the blues I-IV-V pattern of changes.

I can't see how one could do that without overbending, valve-assisted bends or the ability to switch harmonicas pretty damn fast. There's lots of music out there, even blues music, which requires use of one of the five tones you can't otherwise play regardless of what position you pick.

BTW, although distinctly not offended, I am not particularly proficient in third position and use it rarely.

But the point of this isn't what Jim thinks or what I think. It demonstrates that a good part of the problem is our differing views as to what makes an advanced player. Jim and I might not be happy in each other's advanced workshop.

I think we would all suffer less disappointment if the purveyor of the course were to describe in some detail what the prospective attendee needs to know and should expect to accomplish.

But many seminar instructors are afraid to provide a tight course description because they fear prospective students might be scared off. Or they may feel that offering a seriously advanced workshop will result in insufficient attendance.

Don't know what to say about that; however, an instructor who wastes my time should not expect to find me, my friends or my students (yes, I teach) in future courses.

Hope I didn't offend anyone either,

-LM