RE: [Harp-L] Questions for chromatic players

But might we agree that scales and arpeggios get us closer quicker to being
proficient at solos/improvising?
 That seems to be what's happening to me from the work I'm doing with
Michael Rubin.
I'm to the (very fortunate) point now that the rock band for which I sing
and play the odd acoustic guitar piece actively asks me to put harp fills in
rock songs that originally have no harp content.
I was just about ready to twist off from those guys a year ago because I
never got a chance to play much harp. (other than the YardBirds take on I'm
a Man..)
I agree that doing those same exercises in all the keys isn't as immediately
rewarding as playing a song you know/like, but it does seem to have put me
in a place where I can think on my harmonica feet.
Brad (chromatic scaly toes) Trainham