Re: [Harp-L] Questions for chromatic players

Scales.  Not just majors, scales for minor songs and blues songs too.
There are about 10 scales that you need to play non jazz music.
1. Major C D E F G A B C 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2. Major pentatonic C D E G A C 1 2 3 5 6 8
3. Minor Penatatonic C Eb F G Bb C 1 3b 4 5 7b 8
4.  Blues C Eb F Gb G Bb C 1 3b 4 5b 5 7b 8
5. Dorian C D Eb F G A Bb C 1 2 3b 4 5 6 7b 8
6. Mixolydian C D E F G A Bb C 1 2 3 4 5 6 7b 8
7. Aeolian C D Eb F G Ab Bb C 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7b 8
8. Harmonic Minor C D Eb F G Ab B C 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7 8
9. Jazz Melodic Minor C D Eb F G A B C 1 2 3b 4 5 6 7 8
10.  Phyrgian Major C Db E F G Ab Bb C 1 2b 3 4 5 6b 7b 8
(The numbers are for any key)

 Turn melodies into scale degrees and play them up to speed in all 12
keys. Mary had a Little Lamb: 3 2 1 2 3 3 3 2 2 2 3 5 5  3 2 1 2 3 3 3
3 2 2 3 2 1, you can do this for any key, even if the scale has an
accidental.  If the original key is C and there is a Gb in the song,
play a 5b, the fifth note in the major scale of your current key
lowered on half step.
I did Donna Lee in all 12 keys on both a single diatonic and
chromatic. It is a very helpful song because every note in the
chromatic scale is in the melody.

 Play with any song on the radio or your CDs.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com