[Harp-L] new position

Steve tells us:

Charlie Musselwhite turned on my light even brighter when he said he explored positions by finding the starting note on the low end of the harp and the same note an octave higher, then just "fooling around" in between those notes.

You know, what really helped me was to look at diagrams of all the notes available on the 12 keys of Richter tuned diatonic harmonicas. I photocopied and laminated a diagram like this that was in a Hohner brochure. Diagrams of the note layouts for all 12 keys can also be found on the Suzuki harmonica website. Then i started finding the notes of the blues scale and transposing the blues scale (or minor pentatonic scale) to different positions in order to figure out the breath patterns and scale degree (note) locations for different positions. I would not have been able to do this by ear at the time (although my ear is better now), so the visual reference really helped.

FWIW,

JP