Re: [Harp-L] Embossing and customizing

Jerry Deall wrote:
Great ideas.
I use two slide viewers, a small one I can put the reed plate on to work on it, a viewer w/ a magnifier I slip the plate into. The second one has a built in back light and magnifier and only lights up when you hold the button.

Ooh, I like it! I have a back-lit slide viewer, but it never occurred to me to use it for checking reed plate embossing progress. Thanks for that little tidbit, Jerry!

Captain Ron also has some great advise. I would like to add a couple little tidbits myself. One, I usually start about 2/3 of the distance from the reed tip to the rivet end. That actually pushes the reed a bit into the slot at the rivet end, which is a good thing. Of course, you have to compensate for it when you set the reed profile. (Don't want the reed to dip too far into the slot.) Also, I have found that if I use a sort of a "scooping" motion when I start the pass of the socket, it helps to avoid over-embossing right at the beginning of the pass. That's where I spend the most time correcting for the over-embossed "divot" where the embossing actually touches the reed. Seems that this scooping motion results in a more even embossed edge along the length of the slot. For me anyway. :-)

Michelle