Subject: [Harp-L] Harp case project

So, do you make a skinny briefcase out of the lids?

Dave
Message: 2
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:23:02 +0000 (UTC)
From: pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: List harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I have used a Fender Mississippi Sax harp case for years, but hate that there was no room for the harps to stand straight upright.  Fumbling around for harps laying down flat in a dark venue has caused me some unnecessary stress at gigs.  I like my old case - have a long history with it and am used to keeping an eye on it at gigs because it is easily recognizable.  So...

I bought another one from a fellow harp-ler for a good price, disassembled both cases and put the two deeper bottom halves together to form one case that my harps can stand straight up in.  I think I have thirty five harps in the left well of the case - I divide that section into two with a block of hardwood- the top section is for harps I use in a gig and the rest are for backups and other keys.  I put my delay pedal and my Ultimate 57 mic, small keychaing light, xlr to 1/4" adapters etc. in the right side of the new case.

If you are interested, pics are here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxharpdog/RecentlyUpdated

I still have a bit of cosmetic work left to do, but you'll get the gist of how it works for me.  I love it - also has two handles for added strength.  Was a bit more work than I figured as these cases are well built and the bottoms are made differently to fit with the tops in a lap joint affair, so it neccessitated a complete stripping and modifying of the interior finish.  But it was worth it to me.

Ross Macdonald

www.myspace.com/sassparillajugband