[Harp-L] am thinking about adding a new position

I like Fifth position and I use it quite a bit. I can play all sorts of material I was never able to play on diatonic until I started using Fifth Position. And it’s great for minors (I’ll only use Third for Dorian minors). Very flexible position, very easy to play, and I’m surprised that it isn’t more widely used.

Fifth is a lot like Second. In fact, the breath pattern for the minor pentatonic scale in Fifth is identical to the breath pattern for the major pentatonic scale in Second, you just start on a different note. If you can play Second, you can play Fifth. I think it’s more “bluesy” sounding than Fourth, and you can use all three registers with no problem in Fifth.

Fourth may more useful for certain jazz material, though, since Fifth has a minor 2d (draw 5 and draw 9) which is usually an avoid note, and you will need the major 2d more often playing jazz. Btw, the breath pattern for the major pentatonic scale in First Position is the same as the minor Pentatonic scale in Fourth.

FWIW.

JP