[Harp-L] Embossing and customizing

I know this topic has been covered many times, but I have a more involved
question.  I am trying to master this art and have tried using a penny,
socket, exacto knive, and the back of a counter sink.  I can visibly see and
can feel the brass moving.  I have gotten reeds stuck, so I know the
embossing is taking place.  However, when I hold the reed up to the light,
it always seems that the gap between the reed and reedplate is the same as
if not embossed.  To go a step further, I have applied pressure to check the
spacing with the reed in the slot, and the same thing occurs.  I have tried
embossing each side separately and together.  I have even used a reed wrench
to move the reed, emboss, and replace.

I *think* I am getting results, althought the gapping helps too, but can't
visibly see them...or maybe I get to a point where the reed becomes a bit
embossed but won't move anymore. I don't rush things and if it takes a
couple of hours to emboss, or whatever, I have the patience.  I would like
to do whatever it takes to excel at this.  I have gotten solid at arcing and
make sure the reed is parallel to the reed plate.  I have used Rupert
Oysler's video with success as well.  Tuning isn't an issue...gapping goes
well...but I think I am missing something when embossing.

Thanks for any info you can provide.  I must be getting the hang of
something as even with my lower harps like Ab or Low F, I am able to
overblow, sustain the ob, and bend the ob.  That being said, I can still
hear/feel some leaking air at times.

Mike Fugazzi
harmonica/vocals
NiteRail <http://www.niterail.com>