[Harp-L] Valves/windsavers

I have eyed up the sealing film on yogurt cartons as a likely material for
making replacement valves, but was discouraged from this idea in a workshop
session where Rick Epping informed us that a windsaver is not just a simple
flap of plastic, but that it has two components: the spring and the sealing
membrane.
In vintgage accordeons there was apparently an actual metal 'hairpin' spring
which closed a leather flap.
Nowadays I understand that harmonica valve material may in fact comprise a
lamination with the "spring" material on top and the sealing element
underneath. Consequently it might be possible to inadvertently mount a valve
upside down and get less than terrific results.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana