To: "Harp -l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:50 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Market for men singing jazz standards

Bill posts:
The recent talk about singing has got me thinking a bit. What do people
think the market is for men singing jazz standards, if you want to think of
yourself as a jazz musician rather than a razzamatazzy showman if you know I
mean?

It seems to be accepted that jazz singers are women and i've played with a
few and if it's not too presumptuous some that basically ain't as good as me
which is really frustrating. Although obviously there have been some great
male jazz singers, Parker, Davis and Gil Evans et al evidently thought so on
Birth of the Cool, and i've just been listening to Earl Coleman singing on
an album called Bebop Revisited vol 1 original 1947-48 but was it just the
case that it was an age when crooners were fashionable, so male singers
worked back then?

I like Chet Baker's style of singing, cool and understated and a jazz
instrumentalist who sang, which as a harmonica player is what I think I'd
feel more comfortable with - apparantly he ran into trouble with the jazz
police for it though.

What do we think?

Bill-

there are many male jazz vocalists out there -check out one of my
favorites, Kenny Washington: http://www.kennywashingtonvocalist.com/

I like Chet's thing too, follow your heart--the jazz po-lice are really just a bunch of rent-a-cops with no guns or authority.

Harp content: I played a harp solo while playing in big band supporting Kenny.

Michael Peloquin

http://www.b-radical.us

http://harpsax.com

http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax