[Harp-L] Market for men singing jazz standards

The recent talk about singing has got me thinking a bit. What do people think the market is for men singing jazz standards, if you want to think of yourself as a jazz musician rather than a razzamatazzy showman if you know I mean?

It seems to be accepted that jazz singers are women and i've played with a few and if it's not too presumptuous some that basically ain't as good as me which is really frustrating. Although obviously there have been some great male jazz singers, Parker, Davis and Gil Evans et al evidently thought so on Birth of the Cool, and i've just been listening to Earl Coleman singing on an album called Bebop Revisited vol 1 original 1947-48 but was it just the case that it was an age when crooners were fashionable, so male singers worked back then?

I like Chet Baker's style of singing, cool and understated and a jazz instrumentalist who sang, which as a harmonica player is what I think I'd feel more comfortable with - apparantly he ran into trouble with the jazz police for it though.

What do we think?

Bill