[Harp-L] II V I

   I want to thank everyone for the examples.  I now believe that something
called "II V I" does actually exist.  I'm not quite clear on whether or not
it is actually a song structure or some sort of brief transitional device
within these tunes.  I won't pretend that I understood most of what was
written in response to my post.
   That's my problem with music theory and improvising.  If everytime I tap
my foot during a song, there's a new chord and I have to project a new scale
in my head to pull from....well, then I'm paralyzed.  Unless it's a slow-mo
ballad.  I can't think that fast.  And if I could, it would sound like the
equivalent of a math exercise.  That's why there's a guy on TV now making a
fortune telling people to ignore or completely strip down the sheet music in
front of them to the barest of minimums while they're trying to learn how to
play piano.  Otherwise, they'll never finish the tune and probably will wind
up quitting the piano.  For me, I'm better off thinking in terms of
positions, or melody and words in order to follow and solo on these tunes.
I respect and admire everyone like Michael Rubin who can do it "correctly".
But after years of bandmates handing me pages of confusing sheet music
they've written up, I now understand that famous Charlie Parker quotation.
Something like, "learn all the theory you can; then when it comes time to
play, forget about it".
   You know, back in the 80's Howard Levy mumbled something about "the cycle
of fifths" during my lesson with him and made me improvise while he
played "Autumn Leaves" on the piano.  It was 4th position harp and whatever
I hit, fit.  He liked it.  God bless Winslow; but if I had read his
explanation of what is actually happening in this tune, I'm not sure I would
have been able to pick up the harmonica and play that day.  It kind of
reminds me of a story Bumble Bee Bob Novak used to tell about a professional
dancer staring out of a window and watching a little kid dancing along the
curb in from of her house.  She turned to her friend and wistfully
commented, "It took me 20 years to learn how to dance that free.".
   But I'm not making a case for ignorance.  I do, in fact, envy the
knowledge displayed by the kind people who responded to this thread.  Thanks
again.  I'll pass on one of my favorite pieces of musical advice, given to
me by a saxophonist named Bob Amram.  "There are no bad musical notes", Bob
used to say.  "Only bad resolutions".

Mick Zaklan