Re: [Harp-L] Learning to Sing

Bill,

I think this ought to be on topic because, as you have said yourself, it is much easier to work if you are not "just a harp player." Now, I think that is just prejudice, but it's the way things are.

The last time I sang with a band, my one vocal was used as a joke. I was a terrible singer. I dreaded having to sing.

So, I went to a voice trainer (who is also an excellent harp player.) Now, I work in a band with a really good singer, but I sing about 1/3 of the songs. I really look forward to cutting loose and belting one out.

So what changed? Not my voice. I still have no more than I had before I trained. What I gained is confidence, appearance, some tricks and a much more relaxed approach to singing. I am convinced that anyone can learn what I did. You may never be a Caruso, but if you can hear your harp, you can learn to hear yourself and you will sing.

As to percussion: I haven't found any tunes that I can't play and damn few in which my playing would be "inappropriate." While some may not believe that the harmonica is a real instrument, I won't tolerate such a view.

Another thing to consider about percussion. Whatever you are using is a real instrument, with techniques for good musicianship. If you must do percussion, at least learn the instrument.

Well, that's my 2 mils,

-LM