Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci's Mongoose Free Harp Cleaning Method

JohnnieHarp writes:
For cleaning my harps, I find a toothbrush with liquid hand soap works
fine. Liquid dish detergent would work well too. Not sure you need to
use Kaboom or anything stronger than soap.

Would stay away from toothpaste as it usually has some abrasive in it
that might affect reed tuning.

I agree with Johnnie with respect to using liquid soap for routine cleaning. The only time I use anything stronger is if there is a significant amount of corrosion on the reed plates (or reeds themselves) that might interfere with a good seal against the comb. Then Barkeepers friend for bad corrosion and toothpaste for mild corrosion. And again, Johnnie is right, check tuning after using anything with abrasives in it. And, check gapping after using a toothbrush.

My only other comment is that over time I've grown to agree with Winslow in regards to "not fixing it if it ain't broken." I seem to recall reading that Winslow is of the opinion that a little dried saliva can actually seal leaks here and there. My personal opinion is that, in the balance, the possibility of damaging a reed with a toothbrush could outweigh the (arguable) benefit of having perfectly clean harmonicas at all times. 'Course I don't make my bed every morning either. ;-)

Michelle