Re: [Harp-L] Alcohol a dangerous drug

In my opinion regular ABUSE, not use of alcohol is an illness. One can use and not abuse this drug. Unless you happen to be one of the millions of unfortunate people afflicted with the terrible disease of alcoholism, there's no reason why one can't responsibly partake in "the nectar of the gods". Just my opinion..not really worth all that much. (Harp content) whiskey laden saliva will definitely gum up the reeds.

-----Original Message-----
From: "J.JONES" <jjones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 00:15:03
To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Alcohol a dangerous drug

Hi,
       To the guy who disagreed with my assertion that drinking is an illness, it might be good to keep in mind a famous
 quote from Charles Lamb, the English essayist, entitled "The Joys of Alcohol":

     To be an object of compassion to friends, of derision to foes; to be suspected by stangers,
 stared at by fools; to be esteemed dull when you cannot be witty, to be applauded for witty when
 you know you have been dull; to be called upon
 for the extemporaneous exercise of that faculty
 which no premeditation can give; to be spurred
 on to efforts which end in contempt; to be set on
 to provoke mirth which procures the procurer hatred; to give pleasure and be paid with squinting malice; to swallow draughts of life-destroying
 wine which are to be distilled into airy breath to tickle vain auditors (listeners); to mortgage miserable morrows for nights of madness; to waste whole seas of time upon those who pay it back in little inconsiderable drops of grudging applause---are the wages of buffoonery and death.

     If regular use of alcohol is not an all or nothing
 pastime, then please supply a reason that alcohol
 use is a positive activity---it loosens players up a bit, but really has no place among adults who are trying to create serious music.  I need not mention
 all the social misery this dangerous drug causes---
 perhaps more than any other substance.

 Best,

 Jeff Jones