[Harp-L] Ultrasound cleaner

I bought one just to try it out but wasn't convinced. When I nuked the reed plates in plain warm water nothing much happened and when I tried a commercial cleaning solution the offsets & tuning were affected and I had to do a lot of work to get them back in working order. Maybe there are more suitable cleaning agents but for my needs this method is not really necessary.

I've gone back to just soaking the plates in diluted vinegar or lemon juice (don't soak too long or your rivets may rust!), alcohol or EM (effective micro-organisms, my preferred cleanser, which does a good job if you soak the plates for a couple of hours or overnight). Then I brush them off with a soft toothbrush and rinse under the tap. I have numerous Hohner MBDL reed plates which I've been using on stage regularly for over a year now and have refurbished like this several times, with the occasional spot of retuning when needed. They still play great and the ultrasound unit is gathering dust in the shed,

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com