Subject: [Harp-L] Drinking

But Michael:  You were absolutely correct in this part of your post,  at
least:

"However, to the guy who said drinking any alcohol is a sickness, not  a
social lubricant, sorry, I do not agree.  There are some people  who
have a problem with it and some who do not.  It is not all or  nothing."

...Especially since the writer seemed to be looking at it from  a specific
(and narrow) point of view.

There are a great many social drinkers...and by that I don't mean people
who regularly imbibe yet insist they don't have a problem while dealing with
regular hangovers, but those who may have an alcoholic drink or a glass of
wine  once every so often with a meal, or to celebrate an  occasion. Those
individuals clearly do NOT have 'a problem with  alcohol'. Not every one
falls into neat categories.

In my case I very much would (and used to) enjoy a nice glass of wine, or
even a glass of Courvoisier. Unfortunately at this point I
cannot...specifically  because any alcohol now triggers a migraine or would cause an adverse
reaction with a particular medicine I take. So I'm forced to not drink at
all, or risk a world-class headache. Sometimes I'll have a sip or two of a
liquor such as Kahlua or champagne for a wedding toast/New Year's
celebration, but no more.  It's simply not worth the pain.  But  even when I did
'indulge' ...I would have a drink of alcohol no more often than  once every 2 -
3 months if that.  How on earth could such be  construed as 'having a
problem' with alcohol? I've also been specifically told  by physicians (relating
to meds I take) that I'm a non-addictive personality.  Some people are, some
people aren't. Perhaps it's genetic, or the luck of the  draw. I'm aware I'm
very lucky. But we can't all be neatly categorized.

So have to agree with Michael...it's all speculative.

I gave the idea of having a sip or two of 'something' some serious thought
as a means to lessen my 'performance' issues onstage. Decided against it
purely  because I didn't want people to then smell it on me and think of me as
a drinker  when I'm not..especially during an afternoon 'open mic'
performance at a  Convention, but I do believe it would have certainly helped a bit.
 However I'm already pretty much a klutz and can't imagine me not then
falling  over my feet even more onstage.<G>  So I'm having to get over my
'stage fright' on my own...

...speaking of which - some of my friends here might like to know that
I've joined the Garden State Harmonica Club...attended two meetings so far,
gotten up to play both times due to the persistence of my good friends Club
President Val Redler and her co-conspirator Phil Caltabellotta - both of whom
 are quite determined to have me play more....can you imagine Phil playing
backup with me?

This Monday night I played at least 3 - 4 songs: with Val, with Phil,
alone, and with club member Bill Farbstein (on chord) accompanying me.  I'm
becoming gradually more comfortable playing now in front of their  appreciative
(and very kind) club audience.

Baby steps.

Elizabeth