[Harp-L] Drinking/drugs and playing

[Please excuse the long post]

Overall, I haven't drunk much in my 30 years playing music (harmonica only recently I hasten to add); however, I have smoked a lot of weed. In fact, I used to get stoned before every gig or session habitually, even if it was in the morning, and I genuinely felt that it got me closer to that magic, imaginative creative place, loosened me up, etc. I used to smoke pure less-strong weed (what I called 'daywear') so I wouldn't get too wrecked, although I still got pretty out of it, it has to be said. I come from a line of drinkers and I think that influenced me going elsewhere for my high even though it was still undoubtedly a dependency. I never drank as I always had the THC in my system and I followed the Freewheelin' Franklin adage "Smoking grass and drinking beer is like pissing into the wind".

However, about 5 years ago intimations of mortality and health concerns (all those tars! All that wasted time sitting around! All those lost brain cells/memories!) as well as the fact it didn't work the same any more - no more laughs and inspiration, just fatigue and a wish I hadn't just had that smoke - led to me giving up completely during a severe bout of flu and I haven't touched it since.

My playing? Much better, so much sharper, more on it, funkier, in control. Creativity fine despite my worries. I'm not very disciplined so I sit down and play/practise less often I'm afraid. Listening to my dub records not the same I have to say...

Drink? I enjoy good champagne and tequila, don't drink to excess and do have an occasional relaxer at gigs. I can really see how it could creep up on you and become a problem so I'm aware of it.

One last point of interest: producer Joe Boyd says the following at the end of 'White Bicycles', his fascinating account of making music in the '60s:

'I listened in the studio control room as musicians' modes of consciousness-alteration proceeded from grass, hash and acid to heroin and cocaine by the 1970s. All but the latter could, on occasion, provide benefits, at least to the music. I never knew cocaine to improve anything. When the white lines came out, it was time to call it a night: the music could only get worse... I suspect that the surge in cocaine's popularity explains - at least in part - why so many great sixties artists made such bad records in the following decade'.

Jessica

PS: I recently realised to my horror I now waste as much time messing around online as I used to taking drugs!