Re: [Harp-L] band drinking, minimal harp content

My band has a alcohol policy. While we are there first and foremost to have fun, we are also there to do a job. The club owner expects a competent, professional job for his or her money. I believe this is next to impossible to do when you're intoxicated. I also do believe that a small amount of alcohol may actually enhance some peoples performances. The policy in my band is to DRINK RESPONSIBLY!! Know your threshold and stay under it. This seems to keep the fun factor involved, and professionalism shown to the boss.

                               Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:20:15
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] band drinking, minimal harp content

I have a question - does your band have any rules on alcohol consumption before/during a show?  My band recently had a less than optimum performance that was directly related to alcohol consumption by the bass player and drummer who were both quite buzzed as we went on stage. This caused the tempos to be all screwed up, and lead to a new band rule - no drinking before a show starts.  During the show we still have an occasional drink on stage if allowed by the venue or as is often the case bought by fans and brought to the stage.  Our subsequent shows have all been great since this rule.

 Harp Content:  It takes all of my faculties and focus to play harp sober let alone buzzed.

 Ross Macdonald