Re: [Harp-L] valve problems! need help!

On Jan 4, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Richard Hunter wrote:

joe leone wrote:
<As for a book. I waited too long. AND I don't have a REP. You need a
<rep.  So, I'll just remain Mr. Cellophane.

Actually, the only things you need to write a book are 1) something interesting to say,

lolol, Now THAT may be a problem. I am too frank, cutting, surley, crude, lewd, rude, obtuse, uncouth, and several other detriments. Some people are tinkerers and not much at playing. others are terrific players and don't know the first thing about the harps themselves, others are way into theory, positions, 5ths, 7ths, diminished, beebops, augmenteds. I am no an expert on anything. I play. That's all I do.

2) time,

I have the time but I'm getting old and lazy :)

and 3) 500 sheets of clean paper. You don't need much money, because 500 sheets of paper don't cost a lot.

I have enough to buy a paper company.

You certainly don't need a rep--you'll get one, for better or worse, when the book is published. (Did you mean "reputation" or "representative," as in agent? Either way, for a book about harmonica, you don't need it.)

Reputation is the word. Ok, let's be serious here. Let's say you see a book written by Joe Schmatalatz. Would you buy it. I don't think so. Example, when I first started going to spah (1991), I heard or heard about scadey eigtht quadrazillion players that I had never heard of before. I HAD heard of Blackie, the Harmonicats, the Rascals, Larry Adler.

So, If I had come across a book from a Harry Bradervelt, I don't think I would have paid attention. It's like I once heard of a book about jazz by Cha-Ber Huang. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I never considered him to be remotely even a facsimilie of the term jazz. So, maybe I'm wrong. I'm probably very naive. (btw, I love that guy).

Of all the arts, writing is the one that is easiest for a novice to break into, precisely because it can be done as a one-person project with little or no upfront financial investment.

In 1975 I wrote a book called 'Crossbows'. Not a historical review, it was a how-TO. Make one at your kitchen table type book. 260 pages, soft cover, geared towards the survivalist crowd. It sold well, is long out of print, and I still get tiny residual checks. What irked me was: sale price $8.50..my share 75c. If I would have had a reputaton, my share would have justified the time and aggravation :)

But anyway, we're getting off topic.  :)
harmonica is a love affair....smo-joe

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter Vids at http://www.youtube.com/user/lightninrick _______________________________________________ Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx http://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l