[Harp-L] Eddie Clarke available on Disk at last

Aongus Mac Cana wrote ;

However I heard on Radio na Gaeltachta this morning that person or persons
unknown have put together a collection of recordings of Eddie Clarke and
issued a 4CD collection under the title of "The Unheard Eddie Clarke". I
can't wait to get my hands on a set. If information about publishers etc.
becomes available I shall let the 'Faithful' know.

You can find it here:

http://www.eddieclarke.ie/

This is (part of) what Mick Kinsella has to say

Most of what I would like to hear as far as reels are concerned would be played on a chromatic, with the slide reversed as I use. I use a B chromatic harmonica and I reverse the slide so when I roll it goes down a semitone instead of up a semitone. It's really a style that I picked up from Eddie Clarke, and he said that he picked it up from a guy called Paddy Bawn. The only chromatic that was really available at the time he started playing was the C chromatic. Eddie used to go round to matches, football matches and hurling matches. They'd be a long time in the car coming back and he was friends with this great fiddle player called Joe Ryan, and the two of them would practice in the back. Joe, being from Clare, sometimes played in Eb and Ab, so the natural thing for Eddie was to hold in the slide. That meant that if he was playing in the normal G position he'd be playing in Ab, and he learned literally to play it 'upside down'. But it worked out as the perfect position, because in the Ab scale you end up with 3 notes of the scale on 1 hole; you end up with the G note on blow 3 if you let the slide out, if you push the slide in you've got Ab, and then draw the same hole and you've got the Bb.

I've been the proud posseser of this 4CD box set these last three weeks.

It's an amazing collection, a true eye/ear opener for anyone interested in Irish music.

M(h)ox

http://www.youtube.com/user/hokumsheik

Française
http://www.myspace.com/mox_gowland
http://www.myspace.com/newhokumsheiks

English
 http://www.myspace.com/moxgowland
http://www.myspace.com/newhokumshieks

Française / English / Polski / Deutsch / Magyar
http://harmopoint.com