Re: Subject: [Harp-L] FEELING THE GROOVE and reflecting it physically

Ok, now I really feel dumb. I bought a metronome and you set it by a number, like 60, 50, 80, etc. So other than slowing it down to a place I can actually keep up with, how would I know where to set it to play something as simple as "Mary had a little lamb? Also my thanks to all that have given me guidance and exercises to improve my ability to keep time.

Find a nice slow number where you feel comfortable playing Mary. You can do this by trying a number and seeing if you can do it at that speed. If not, make it slower. When you find a number that works, practice it daily for a minimum of 15 minutes, which will seem boring, but this is how to make something hard into something easy.

After a few weeks, when you are very comfortable playing it at that number, increase the number by five or ten. Give yourself months, slowly raise the speed. This will increase your ability to learn harder and harder stuff, and give you the patience to actually learn that stuff.

Every time you find a bit that's too hard for you to play easily, practice it until you can play it easily.

That's how most of us learn everything that's hard.