[Harp-L] Subject: Re: {Harp-L] valve problems! need help!

Isaac....way back before Vern's proprietary method of compressing and
heating ultrasuede, I posted links to obtaining very inexpensive or even free
samples of ultrasuede either here on harp-l or onto Slidemeister (I honestly
forget which) since the subject was a much discussed one after PT  Gazell
first talked about his use of ultrasuede to half-valve  diatonics.

I did a Google search for Ultrasuede at the time, ending up not  cutting my
own windsavers since I had bought Bill Romel's self-stick thermapore
ones...enough to last me for quite some time.  However I will probably try  my
hand at doing so at some point.

Really appreciate Michelle's chiming in today with her advice re the rotary
 cutter...since that was one of the reasons I didn't cut my own at the
time..the  torqueing of the fabric when I attempted my first one (with
scissors). A rotary  cutter is on my list...along with a self-healing mat. (Martha
Stewart has long  touted the use of one of those for cutting and crafts..they
come in many  different sizes).  Here's a fairly small/average size one more
than  suitable for cutting windsavers:

_http://www.cutting-mats.net/cutting-mats-1060.html_
(http://www.cutting-mats.net/cutting-mats-1060.html)

and a rotary cutter:

_http://www.cutting-mats.net/5057.html_
(http://www.cutting-mats.net/5057.html)

another site:

_http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Mat-and-Paper-Cutters/C
reative-Mark-Self-Healing-Cutting-Mats.htm_
(http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Mat-and-Paper-Cutters/Creative-Mark-Self-Healing-Cuttin
g-Mats.htm)

or its tiny url:

http://tinyurl.com/yle5r4z

You can do the same kind of search for ultrasuede, depending upon where
you're located. What will come up are fabric companies or stores such as
Joann's  here in the US carrying samples ranging from garment weight to the
heaviest of  upholstery weights (all made from Ultrasuede or other similar faux
suede  fabrics). If you can find a store selling a small piece (half or
quarter of a  yard or so, or a remnant..you're already ahead of the game).

I remember at the time for something around $6.00 I'd gotten enough
swatches of different weights of ultrasuede to have cut chromatic valves
from...to be able to valve nearly every chromatic I own....definitely
cost-effective, although I wasn't sure which 'weight' to use at the  time.  Of course,
the cost of the samples change from company to company.  Some will send you a
single swatch (or two) for free if you're planning a larger  yardage
purchase....some will send samples only to design professionals.

Many of the same companies are now making something called
ultra-leather...in differing weights which are beginning to intrigue me since  they have a
fabric coating on the underside. I might just get some swatches of  those to
experiment with as well since the less porous exterior would seem to  then
obviate the need for compression...so might be worth looking  into.

 Here are a couple of links to ultrasuede, but you can explore  further
from there, do a google search for your own area, see if any of the  online
companies will ship for free (or at least inexpensively) to where  you live:

_http://www.fieldsfabrics.com/ultra/shopping/sampleset.htm_
(http://www.fieldsfabrics.com/ultra/shopping/sampleset.htm)

_http://www.ultrasuede.com/where_to_buy/index.html_
(http://www.ultrasuede.com/where_to_buy/index.html)

As far as waterproofing -  Scotchguard or a newer product: NikWax
(supposedly more environmentally friendly but still not to be used indoors  because
of its potential to damage one's lungs) is probably simple enough...and  as
far as compression with heat...what could be easier (for fabric such as
ultrasuede) than an iron, remembering to always press through a cloth (I use a
linen dish towel no matter what I iron). I'd iron first THEN waterproof
(you  don't want the heat to release any potentially toxic fumes you might then
 inhale) ...but frankly I'd probably not use a waterproofing material
inside  my own chromatics depending on the stiffness of the fabric.

The MAAS polish I've long suggested as a terrific cleaner for other musical
 instruments, jewelry and especially nice for harmonicas, is designed to
leave  behind a very thin protective film (after buffing) if you don't do a
last  wipe-down with rubbing alcohol....(I will use the alcohol for a  last
wipedown on the mouthpiece and outside cover plates but leave the  MAAS buffed
on the inside) which seems to help prevent tarnishing and  give that same
beading up response one gets with wax. I'm personally more  comfortable with
this polish since it was specifically developed to be less  toxic than other
metal/jewelry polishes then on the market, and would seem to me  to be less
toxic than a floor wax...but that's just my opinion. Your  mileage may vary.

BTW there's something else to consider other than waterproofing the
ultrasuede. I'm thinking one could 'starch' the fabric before cutting, either
with a presoak or with use of an iron-on spray.  There's nothing toxic in
starch as far as I know since there are even food-grade versions  available..and
could possibly make the whole process much simpler to my  mind.

Elizabeth