[Harp-L] FEELING THE GROOVE and reflecting it physically

One needs to RELAX. As i understand it, It is actually a physiological phenomenon. The heart beat actually sort of synchronizes to the pulse of the rhythm of music that has a heavy beat (especially electric music). So relax, let the music move through your ears and body viscerally and allow yourself to sway in time to the music instead of doing something more deliberate and volitional like tap one's foot. Let the music take you instead of trying to move in time to the music. It's more of an unconscious response if you can relax and sort of allow yourself to become one with the pulse instead of TRYING to keep time.

Now, that being said, some musicians can do this more naturally or with more facility than others. I play with a bandleader who plays guitar and has an advanced degree in music. GREAT player, but doesn't really move in time to the music and doesn't have a deep sense of groove. He has occasionally taken gigs playing bass, but usually doesn't last long as a bass player because of this. But a terrific musician, and an excellent player with very creative artistic sensibilities. Actually, I should count my blessings since I am very fortunate to get to play with a musician of his caliber and I've learned a lot because of it. As i think about it, I suspect one of the reasons he may like having me around is because I do have a decent sense of groove which compliments his playing style and in some contexts compensates when his sophisticated improvisational playing begins to meander. We work pretty well together and people seem to like it. And he's taught me a whole lot of sophisticated musical stuff i can do on the harp (like playing chord extension tones on the high end when i don't have the necessary scale tones available since don't OB).

Anyway, i guess the point is that it's easier for some of us than others, but try to RELAX and let the music move you instead of deliberately trying to move in time to the music. Let the music inside of you first. That way you FEEL the music instead of just trying to move to it.

FWIW,

JP