Subject: Re:[Harp-L] Harmonica Therapy: Is there a doctor in the house?

Oh, it isn't tardy at all, James. Many threads aren't picked up until quite
 some time later. No one should think they can't pick up on an 'older'
comment  even weeks down the line - at least as far as I'm concerned.

I think Dr Yun and Mr. Rand would be only too happy having more people
(and pros) on board.

My only quibble in reading about Mr. Rand is when he's quoted as telling
his church audience/students 'to not try rap or rock', but to stick with
hymns because they were easy to learn (assuming he was quoted correctly)?  Now
I have no experience with playing or accompanying rap on harmonica, but I
could assure him that rock music can surely be played very well indeed and
fairly easily on diatonics and chromatics. It's one of my favourite genres.

I imagine, since your particular interest is with children, that you just
might have to cater to the music they enjoy...and if some are getting into
their  early teens, Pop music could be of far more interest to that  group
than a lot of other genres. Get them to play along with the  music they're
listening to on their radios or Ipods and you'll get some serious  players -
who'll then benefit medically.

Bore them with music they might not like or want to hear, and it becomes
just another medical tool and a chore. At least in my humble  opinion.

I wish you much luck with this venture. I can't imagine another instrument
doing as much good.

Elizabeth

"

Thanks so much for responding to my post, Elizabeth. I apologize for  my
tardy response.

Lamentably I have been unable to attend SPAH for many  years, and I must
admit its frustrating to be so disconnected.  But I'm  very pleased that you
informed me about this committee!  I will hasten to contact Terry to  learn
more about how I may contribute.

Turbodog