Re: [Harp-L] Honer XB-40, Suzuki 350v, Valved Harps, OB/OD's...Gotta get those NOTES!!!

Luke -

The reason Hohner doesn't make the XB-40 in keys higher than Db is that even on the C, the reeds in Holes 9 and 10 do not respond favorably; they tend to sound flat even though the reed is in tune. This is because the chamber inside the harmonica for those reeds is not suitable for those high notes and causes the pitch be be dragged down. On keys below C this is not a problem.

Also, players demanded a low D. It's got a big, brawny sound (at least to my ears) and I play it a lot for fiddle tunes.

Now, comparing an XB-40 to a half-valved harp like the Suzuki 350 is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

A half-valved harp like the MR-350 allows the normal bends (Draw 1 thru 6, Blow 7 thru 10). However, it also unlocks the abaility of the rest of the reeds to bend down.

But it's a different kind of bend. In Hole 4, when you bend the draw reed down, the blow reed also sounds - it goes UP in pitch and the two reeds sound the same note together. This gives you a richer, more stable bent note but it also limits the bend to only 1 semitone (the distance between the pitch of the blow notes and the pitch of the draw note). This is known as a dual reed bend, where a blow reed and a draw reed both collaborate to sound the bent note.

However, if you bend Blow 4 down on a half-valved harp, It's that one reed alone, unsupported. The good news is that there is no hard limit on the range of the bend. Depending on the adjustment of the reed and your skill, you might be able to bend it down 3 or 4 semitones. HOWEVER, the bad news is that the bend will be harder to control, and the tone quality will not be as rich or lively sounding - it's a trade-off.

The XB-40 takes a different approach. While a standard diatonic has 20 reeds, the XB-40 has 40 reeds - part of the reason it costs much more than most diatonic harmonicas.

On an XB-40, when you bend Draw 4, you get two reeds collaborating. And when you bend Blow 4, you still get two reeds collaborating, for a richer sound and more stable bend that on a half-valved instrument. That's because each reed has its own dedicated "responder" reed that collaborates with the main reed to sound the bend.

That means that the XB-40 can deliver full, rich bending on all 20 notes. It also means that the normal bending llimits don't apply. On a standard Harp, the responder reed for Draw 4 is Blow 4. The only way you could expand the bending range of Draw 4 would be to re-tune Blow 4 to a lower note. Obviously, that has drawbacks. But on the XB-40, the responder reed is a dedicated reed that only sounds during bends, so you can tune it to any note you want within reason. On the XB-40, most of the responder reeds are tuned to a allow  2 semitones of bending range (Draw 3 is still 3 semitones, just like on a standard harp).

By the way, the XB-40 can deliver a lot of volume. I play acoustically with fiddle groups of up to 120 players and can make myself heard with groups of up about 50.

About your experience with Blow 4 choking when you adjust for overblows. This is a normal problem that you can learn to finesse in various ways. As you develop your overblow technique, you may find that you don't need to set the blow reed so low. You may also find ways of fine tuning the adjustment of the reed for optimal response - to where you still get the overblow but experience less chokiness in the reed. But adjusting your playing technique is also a part of it. If you try playing with less overall airflow, you may find that you actually need a lot less juice to deliver your sound. Learning to play more efficiently can give you greater control and make your harps last longer.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com