[Harp-L] First serious foray into tuning questions

So I have been studying Sleigh's manual.  I have got an old harp and
have broken 3 blow reeds by using the paper clip tool and blow reed
support tool.  How do you do that better.

As per Richard's instruction, I am tuning the higher note of an octave
combination a hair sharper than the lower octave note.  For example, I
will tune hole 5 blow 0.7 cents sharper than hole 2 blow.  That sounds
good, but when I tune hole 8 blow another 0.7 cents sharper, I get the
octave beating.

Is there a way to listen to the beating to access which note is too
high or low?  Since 2 and 5 blow sound nice, my instinct is to retune
hole 8, but I want to follow octave beating rules.  Then, is there a
way to listen to the beating and access whether or not the note needs
to be flattened or sharpened?
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com