Re: [Harp-L] TMJ / hearing

Hi Harp-L,

I know this is an old topic; I few days ago I was diagnosed with TMJ, on the right side mostly.

I started playing the harp about six months ago as a way to build my lungs up after a few chest infections. The jaw problems started a few weeks ago; I thought it was an ear problem, which is common.

After considering it, I figure the harmonica is, if not the cause, then a major contributor. So I started considering my technique. I think I thrust out my lower jaw for some reason, which I try to be consciously aware of and to relax. My face muscles tend to tense up as well.

As far as hearing goes, I notice an uncomfortable pressure in my ears when I play the higher registers of the harp. Does anyone else get that?

Finally, any exercises to recommend for the TMJ problem?

Cheers,
Chris

Perth, Australia