[Harp-L] Re: Vox DA5 for harp

The youtube clip shows the tone setting at a little less than halfway, which
has a lot to do with why the tone is a little harsh.  I run an Astatic with
a Crystal Balls element through mine and find that I need to roll the treble
all the way off (turn the tone control completely counterclockwise) to get a
good tone.  The amp is voiced to accommodate guitars with humbucker pickups
and has enough top end to sound harsh with harmonica unless you turn the
tone down.

I had the chance to A/B the competing battery-powered amps from Line 6 and
Roland at the same time with my own harp mic and found the Vox to be the
hands-down winner for tone and build quality.

As pointed out by others on this thread, the multiple power settings and
adequate effects make this a great little gigging amp for a lot of
situations.  The battery compartment door doubles as a "kick stand" which is
a nice touch.  It doesn't sound as good as my tube amps, but it doesn't
weigh near as much either.  Highly recommended, especially if you need a
battery-powered amp for busking, rehearsals, theatre pit band work,
campfire, coffee shop or jazz club type gigs.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed Kliman
Publisher