Re: [Harp-L] Vox DA 5 for the harp

martin oldsberg wrote:
<This is a link to a guy playing "Petit fleur" on diatonic. Interesting choice of <tune, and well done -- but, I wonder, is this the kind of warmth you can expect <from a Vox DA5?...
<Anyone tried for a warmer sound w/ this amp?

I played through a DA5 at a jam session in November and immediately bought one.  It's a great sounding small amp for harp, with decent reverb and delay plus a few other useful effects.  I mostly use my Fireball V with this amp, but it sounds fine with my Shaker Madcat and Astatic JT30 mics too.

I generally set the amp model to the Blues 2 or Blues 3 setting, with GAIN at about 10 o'clock, TONE all or most of the way down, and MASTER (volume) set to whatever's appropriate for the moment.  I find the tone with these settings to be big and punchy, in fact much bigger sounding than the amp looks, with plenty of power in reserve.

The DA5 also has a dedicated mic input, which doesn't use the amp modeling and effects, so you can run a vocal mic side by side with a harp mic, each with its own sound.

In my opinion the DA5 is an excellent small amp for harp players, very good value for money.  I recall other reviewers on this list making the same point.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter