[Harp-L] Re: Reed Length

Bill wrote:

I have heard rumors that the 270 Deluxe (which I love) has longer reeds (for
a given pitch) than the regular 270s.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, which of the Hohner chromatics
currently have longer reeds? And do any of the diatonics have longer than
usual reeds (like maybe the Crossover)? I tried to take some apart to
examine, but I did not get a good "read" on the situation.

Steve replies:

Like all current Hohner chroms, the 270 Deluxe has new reed profiles similar to those used in the Classic diatonics, which are extremely durable and responsive. These were introduced across the board to extend reed life and reduce the risk of breakage, so you'll find the same reeds in all current production models. Older instruments will have reeds with the previous profiles. This has nothing to do with reed length however.

All Hohner Classic diatonics (Golden Melody, Special 20, Marine Band 1896, Deluxe & Crossover) have the same basic reed design, none of them features longer reeds.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com