[Harp-L] Bluesharmonica.com - David Barrett's new content-rich teaching site

After three years of development, David Barrett has gone live recently with his teaching site, bluesharmonica.com

Regular contributors include Dave himself, Mark Hummel, Gary Smith, microphone expert Fritz Hasenpuch, repair and customization expert Kinya Pollard, local up-and-coming bandleader bandleader/harmonica player Aki Kumar, and to get a student perspective, Joe Tartaglia. As noted in my signature line, I'm a contributor (I've been designated
"Expert Winslow Yerxa" - a handle I hope I can live up to).

Dave, Fritz, Kinya, and I are also regular contributors to the Mel Bay eZine harmonicasessions.com -  you can get some idea of our work there.

Dave has posted dozens of video lessons at beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels, complete with study plans. These can be followed by study plan or by subject (such as on bending or third position), and cover the essentials of good blues harmonica technique.

He's also presenting a series of artist studies, which presently includes several entries on William Clarke's Lonesome Bedroom Blues.

The Special Interest section at present includes Dave's fascinating documentary on the German Harmonica Museum, split into several segments suitable for internet viewing

Dave has also posted video interviews with such luminaries as Rick Estrin, RJ Mischo, Steve Baker, Joe Filisko, Peter Madcat Ruth, Jason Ricci, Gary Primich, and Chris Michalek, with more on the way.

The site also includes a discussion forum segmented by broad topic areas where members can ask questions both to the group at large and to the pro contributors.

Subscriptions are $16.95 a month, or $199.95 a year, payable by Paypal.

This may not be the internet's first harmonica teaching site. But knowing Dave Barrett's strong reputation for excellent organization, rich content, and clear, detailed instruction, it promises excellence.

Disclaimer: I am a paid contributor to this site.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com