Re: [Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues -

Daniel Gage wrote:
<I suppose tone is in the ear of the beholder.  For my money, this chick has pretty <big tone for a "fast" player, even through a PA mic.

Sure.  John Popper has good tone too, though it's not a classic blues tone. It's a robust sound with plenty of volume and clarity, which is what works for his music.

In general, for ALL instruments, there is an inverse relationship between speed and quality of tone.  The faster you play, the less brilliant any particular note sounds.  And the less time the audience has to appreciate the tone, as opposed to the dazzle.  In other words, speed isn't the same message delivered faster; it's a different message.

So when you want to put the big tone across, slow down.

Regards, Richard Hunter.

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter