De : harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] De la part
de Jonathan Ross
Envoyé : lundi 15 février 2010 18:24
À : harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues - check this out

> But I confirm that I play overblows and bent notes in exactly the same
> position of mouth, tongue, ... the only thing which differs is that
> in a
> case I blow and in another case I draw.
> This has been confirmed to me by some other "overblowers".

I don't really overblow well enough to say for myself.  However, when
I test a blow bend at the same pitch (and range on the harp) as an
overblow I find that there are very subtle differences between how I
am forming my oral cavity to get the two effects.  The changes in
oral cavity are similar, but different (same for overdraw and high-
end draw bends).  I would be surprised if they weren't subtly
different, the same way a dual-reed bend is subtly different than a
single-reed bend in terms of how you shape your oral cavity (again,
tested at the same pitch and range on a diatonic harp, both blow and
draw).

> I can assure you that when done correctly, you can't distinguish an
> overblow
> from a bent note, apart if the player decides to play on particular
> effects
> available on each type of note.

I can.  I can when Howard plays them, I can when Sebastien Charlier
plays them, I can when others play them.  Doesn't mean they aren't
usable, don't sound good or anything else, but just like bends I can
tell when someone is using an overblow or not.  If the music is good,
I usually don't care, which is a different issue.  Overbends have a
different timbre than bends or given notes, but, all three are still
free reeds and these differences can be both minimized and exploited
depending on desired outcome.

And just to answer, yes, I did go to the website and listen to many
of the recordings.  I can usually tell what techniques he is using to
create the note played even with a fairly casual listening.  And
that's not a slam on him, just the differences are noticeable.  Most
people might not hear it and might not care, which is another issue
entirely.  But, to get to the levels of his playing (or Howards,
etc...) one had better be able to hear it oneself, IMO, because if
the player isn't aware of these differences, they will stand out even
more.

> It brings me to another consideration : even if you can play notes
> the same
> way with the same tone, I agree with you : all this is a false
> problem as
> you'll usually try to bring effects on each note, whether it is a
> given
> note, a bent note or an overblow.

I would disagree in the following way: it is either a small or a huge
problem depending on the music you are playing.  If it requires that
each note have the same timbre and articulation (another issue--
articulation is different between these three ways of creating a note
as well) than it will be a potentially disastrous problem (and will
highlight any intonational problems to boot).

> The funny point is that in my case, the most difficult at the end
> is not to
> make a bent note or an overblown or overdrawn note sound with a
> profound
> tone, but a blow note, on which I can do less effects.

Blow and draw notes also have a slightly different timbre and
articulation as well.  The harmonica is an incredibly tricky beast in
many ways.

> I know all this is a bit of a sterile debate, but if I can at least
> convince
> some of you that you can overblow the same way you bend, I'm pretty
> sure it
> should be of good help for the ones interested in using the blues
> harp as a
> chromatic instrument.

I can't really agree with that conclusion.  I'd say that these
differences do exist and always will.  To me it's better to
acknowledge the differences and how they can be dealt with than try
and pretend they don't exist.  As Howard, Sebastien and others show
you certainly can use the diatonic harmonica in some fairly chromatic
music.  And, as they also show on occasion, you won't always succeed
musically, IMO.  Knowing the why and how of both is what's important.

JR Ross