[Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues - check this out

âDoesn't matter the genre, the point is that you can't get the same bassy tone when doing lots of that lip pursing and whistling through the harp, so you need effects. This is NOT a criticism - it's an observation.â

Without getting in the old pucker vs. tongue blocking argument, it seems that it boils down to a difference of opinion.  You seem to think that some (all?) Of the OB/pucker players use effects to cover the deficiencies of their technique and also that all players are (or maybe should be) striving for the same bassy Chicago blues tone.  In my opinion the players that use effects use them to experiment, advance and create new sounds with the harp (need to check out the new Sebastien Charlier CD!), not to recreate the traditional sound.  As far as tone, not sure why they would want or why anybody would expect them to have a traditional blues tone when we are talking about blues /rock, rock, jazz and anything but straight out traditional blues players.

âIn your opinion, did it have much difference on the tone? I suspect I can hear a pedal in there, as well, so I'm wondering if the mic did much at all.â

I can hear a difference in tone because of the different mic, but clearly not the traditional blues sound.

Not Challenge, just fun talking about this stuff.

Gus