Re: [Harp-L] Jam session etiquette question

In a message dated 14/02/2010 13:21:21 Malay Peninsula Standard Time,
swebb@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  Then we got onstage and he took off in a different key, with a
different song.  So, OK, I just waited there looking like a dummy

I've been there too,  but it wasn't at a jam... I was playing with a  50
singer Gospel choir.... It was at a funeral, and not at our home Church... We
were going to do 3 songs, all rehearsed in one or two keys... As space was
limited, I just got out the harps I needed, and left my harp case under a
table  somewhere. Now the keyboard player used to use his "transpose" button
on  his synth.... We start the tunes... He had programmed in  the wrong key
entirely. Not like "E" or "B" when it should have been "A" but something
WAY  different.... A nightmare.

Another time I was invited on stage by a band, (No  keyboard),  but the
bass and the guitars had tuned to each other,  not to concert pitch... It was
about 1/4 to 1/3  of a note off... There was  nothing I could do.

Sometimes... If it CAN go wrong, it will go wrong.

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines