[Harp-L] Various Jam Experiences, Anything in Paris?

I wanted to catch up and acknowledge the jams I've been at recently, and the fine harp-l friends who have helped me out, for the benefit of future harpistic travelers.

First, in Singapore, I had a great time as usual at the Sunday night Crazy Elephant jam. Kelvin Ng from harp-l met me there and got me all set up with the usual band full of locals and ex-pats. It was a real blast and a good set of big fun. Following that, Kelvin got up for his set and played some excellent harp and also led the set with vocals. Nice voice there Kelvin! I was really blown away by Kelvin's playing and enjoyed his set immensely.

I had also tried to meet up with Louis Lam (also on harp-l) but my work schedule kept interfering. They send you to these exotic places and in return schedule you to work pretty much night and day to justify the trip expenses. I was sorry not to get to meet Louis, but hopefully next time. Singapore is a fabulous place, no doubt about that. It's amazing how much talent there is around the world, in these small isolated places, you always seem to run across someone that is at such a high level of play.

I played this week at the Bayou Club in Hillsborough, NC and found it to be a very harp friendly jam. A guy named Butch ran it and started things off with his vocals and harp, blowing through his Deluxe Reverb. Butch seemed to be primarily a guitarist/vocalist/front man but also played some might fine harp as well. I was called up second set. As with Singapore, I wanted to play through my RP350 but both places prefered that for minimal setup that I play through the rig that was already set up. So I plugged my green bullet into that. A woman was called up to do vocals, we did a nice first tune, I had to keep coaxing the key out of her and she didnt' seem sure, then calls the second tune in F#. WTF?? Since traveling I only had the 7 primary harps, no B harp. I tried various others (Bb, etc) in 2nd and 3rd positions (with mic off of course) but nothing sounded right, so I gave her the signal that I was standing down for this tune. Then we wrapped up the set with a number in C, so I cracked out the F harp (not a favorite, but at least I had it, didn't bring my low f either). Another harp player followed me in the 3rd set, so a very harp friendly environment. I also liked this jam because they jumped right into the signup list, as opposed to 'house band' jams where the house band hogs up half the night before calling anyone up, and usually then only onsies-twosies to 'sit in' with the band.

Next stop is Paris, leaving tomorrow for the coming week. Anything of note happening there jams or otherwise harmonically related this Saturday through Fri?

Bill