[Harp-L] Re: OBs Blues nazis and a response to EV

> Now a bit about "traditional" blues. To say that you can't use overblows
> in traditional blues is absurd. That's because some of them just fit
> into the "blues scale". For example, if I can play a minor third as a 3
> single bend, why is it not permitted for me to play the same note one
> octave higher as a 6OB? Or if I can play the major third of the V chord
> with a 2 single bend, why is it not permitted for me to play the same
> note one octave higher as a 5OB? These aren't wierd-ass substitute chord
> approach notes. They are straight up blues scale notes that everyone uses.

Sure you can use them. But can you sustain a note over several bars in pitch
with a tone that matches the consistency of timbre of your playing at the
low end in 1st, 2nd or 3rd position? I'm not saying you can't do it. I was
just saying I wouldn't do it for x, y and z reasons. I suppose one way to
disguise this would be if you have naturally thin tone at the low end, so in
that case I'd have to concede maybe some people DO have consistent tone up
the harp when OB-ing. ;)

If what the "traditionalist" is trying to say

LOL. I like the quotation marks. Do you mean me?

is that I must play exactly like L'il Walter, then why not simply call my
> band The Muddy
> Waters Revival Band? But where is there room for me to play traditional
> blues that isn't note-for-note identical to one of the "early masters"?
> Gimme a break...

If you were referring to me, then you didn't read my longer post closely
enough regarding this epithet "Little Walter clones". I certainly never play
note for note blues, but all of my blues is traditional.

peace,

Drew