Re: [Harp-L] OBs Blues nazis and a response to EV

Look, I don't try to use overblows when I am playing blues or jazz or anything else. To me an overbend or valve-assisted bend is just another note. If it's the right note, I use it. I am no more conscious of using an overbend than I am of any other note I play. It requires no thinking or planning or special preparation to play one. If it's the note I hear in my head, then I just play it.

Now a bit about "traditional" blues. To say that you can't use overblows in traditional blues is absurd. That's because some of them just fit into the "blues scale". For example, if I can play a minor third as a 3 single bend, why is it not permitted for me to play the same note one octave higher as a 6OB? Or if I can play the major third of the V chord with a 2 single bend, why is it not permitted for me to play the same note one octave higher as a 5OB? These aren't wierd-ass substitute chord approach notes. They are straight up blues scale notes that everyone uses.

If what the "traditionalist" is trying to say is that I must play exactly like L'il Walter, then why not simply call my band The Muddy Waters Revival Band? But where is there room for me to play traditional blues that isn't note-for-note identical to one of the "early masters"? Gimme a break...

-LM