[Harp-L] Overblowing and the Blues Tradition

This has been an interesting thread - beginning with Nicholas Lovetts's provocative
initial post. While his enthusiasm and passion are laudable his take on the history of
blues harp and the current state of blues harmonica appears to be lacking. I have to
agree with others who have pointed out that there are MANY young players who are
deeply rooted in the traditional styles of LW, BW and the Sonny Boys (I and II).
Granted, this may not be the "next step" in terms of the evolution of the instrument
(that might just be overblows and alternate tunings) but there are many players that I
have met, seen and heard carrying on the great tradition of CHicago blues harmonica.

In a very small way I like to think of myself as one of the players who plays (hopefully
with some level of authenticity) CHICAGO BLUES. I also do not OVERBLOW
however really appreciate the use of those "missing" notes when playing melodic lines
in blues music or otherwise). I will point out that to MY ears the use of overblows in
the blues is not usually to my liking. Probably because of the players I have heard
trying to incorporate the use of overblows into their runs.. Of course there are
 exceptions - Jason and CHris M. come to mind but I am not sure either of them
 thinks of themselves as a blues musician as much as merely a musician who can play
 blues (along with many other styles). From what I have heard on disc and youtube, I
 tend to favor the use of OVERBLOWS in JAZZ and WORLD MUSIC... Oh well,
 just my personal taste..

In the end it is more about music than rhetoric... so, until I can actually HEAR
 someones playing it is hard to appreciate their syle and additionally their musical
 point of view. I have had the experience on harp-l of being BLOWN AWAY by
 some of the members and their playing and at times completely underwhelmed by
 others musicanship (sometimes by the same people who are the most vocal and
 critical of others and their playing!). Therefore, I look forward to hearing Nicholas'
 recording.. As they say - the prrof is in the pudding...

NIcholas - best of luck with the recording and your music...

Kurt