[Harp-L] Old harp-ler here/ Overblows

Hi Folks- This is Sandy Weltman here.  I’ve just (re) subscribed to harp-l but It’s been a really long time since I’ve been on. I’m still playing quite a bit here in St.Louis  but I haven’t kept up with a lot of my harmonica friends in quite a while, so I just wanted to say hi. Also I’ve seen a few posts this week about overblowing and wanted to put my 2 cents in for whatever it’s worth. I learned to overblow from Howard back in the late 1980’s. I remember the first few years when I was learning that everytime an overblow came up in a song or solo I was playing, I was extremely conscious of it (and often nervous).  However Just like bending, it became completely assimilated into my playing style such that I haven’t been “conscious” of playing an overblow in years. It’s just another note.  It’s definitely (and obviously) not a must for playing great blues or any other music for that matter. I just found that it added a different dimension to my personal style that was real exciting for me and also fit my playing well. Anyway,nice be be back on harp-l and I hope to stay connected with you all in future posts.

Thanks- Sandy